Thursday, October 05, 2006












This entry is a day late because I was too tired to do an entry for Wednesday. This morning, Wednesday, I was having problems sleeping because I kept getting up and finally at 2:30am, I decided to get up. I looked out my van window and saw that the moon was just above the mountains and ready to disappear. So I started my van and drove to the bristlecone site at 10,000 feet about 45 miles from camp. I was hoping that I could get a nice moon shot just above the hills. No luck, I got to 10,000 feet but it was pitch dark. No moon in sight anywhere. It was really aerie. I got out of the van and looked up and saw a million stars. I also saw a couple shooting stars and at least 1 satellite flying over. I didn’t stay out too long because I heard the yelping and howling of coyotes and I swear they were all around me. I frantically got in the van and took off like a bat out of hell, not really, but the sounds were a little disconcerting. I went back into Bishop and it was too early to go to my regular coffee shop, Looney Beans, so I decided to go to Dennys and had a nice breakfast. Next to Dennys was the Vagabond Inn, so I made reservations for Thursday night. I’m going to splurge a little and watch some TV and, oh yea, take a bath.
Today I wanted to drive around and get some aspen shots. I went to at least 4 different locations and one of them was Convict Lake. The story goes that some convicts escaped prison and held up at a lake and consequently the lake was named after them. Sadly, there was a plaque commemorating 4 individuals who lost their lives trying to save 2 boys from a youth camp that fell in the frozen lake. 2 of them were counselors, 1 was a forest ranger and the other was a fireman, sad.
I believe I got some good shots and hopefully I’ll be able to print some out. Oh, by the way Shimaine, today’s shots, that I am displaying, were all from your camera, not bad huh.

No comments: