Sunday, October 07, 2007

Hot..Humid..Hazy..Part Deux

It is 5:00 in the morning, New York time, and my shirt is soaked. I just returned from outside getting a cup of coffee and a donut for breakfast. The laws of nature have no effect in NY. When it's dark outside, it's supposed to be cooler not frigen hot. Did I mention that it's crazy hot here in New York. My daughter and her roomies are great, they let me lounge around and sleep in their rooms with the air conditioning on. Plus allow me to take my usual nap or two.

Yesterday we went on the Brooklyn Bridge. The subway, number 6, actually runs near my daughters apartment and ends at the Brooklyn Bridge. The subway is about 1 block from her apartment. The great thing about the subways, besides being great for transportation, is that they are air conditioned. Pretty much any where I was planning on going, I made sure that there was a subway close by, to get some relief from the heat. My daughter purchased an all week subway and bus pass for me to use and use I did.

As usual, it was smoggy outside so I had to do a little touch up on my pictures just so they look half way decent.

Today, I think the plan is to go to my daughters college and check it out.



This is the subway where you wait for your train. Unfortunately, the subway station is not air-conditioned so consequently you perspire for a bit waiting for the train. Then, when the train arrives, it's like a cooler and your body goes into a euphoric shock. Then you start getting cold and can't wait to get off the subway. Is there no pleasing me at all?

Yesterday, when we went to the Brooklyn bridge, we had to share the bridge with hundreds of ladies who were doing the Avon breast cancer awareness walk. The bridge walkway is not very wide and half of it is allocated to bike riders. It was a challenge traversing across the bridge past the ladies

If you are driving from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the Brooklyn bridge, this is the sign that greets you as you enter Brooklyn.

Skyline of Manhattan from the Brooklyn bridge.

Some of the intricate cables connecting the bridge.


A shot of the Empire State building along the bridge.


A different shot of the Manhattan skyline.

1 comment:

Mike Deitchman said...

Very nice pics!

That looks like the kind of bar you could hang out in at 9:00 AM. =)